Thursday, March 20, 2014

Happy Spring!

We made it!!!  We did it. We suffered through it and we earned bragging rights.  We made it to Spring!  Someone at work told me,  "yeah it's Spring today but it sure isn't here in Minnesota."  I beg to differ.  It depends on your perspective.  I choose to look for the "signs" of Spring and appreciate how far we've come.  Believe me, we've come a long ways, despite the snow still sitting in your backyard. 
Some signs of Spring I saw today...
-I went on a run at lunchtime in just a long sleeve shirt and pants, and felt warm in the sunshine and little wind.
-Puddles.  After sitting in the equivalent of a deep freezer (or worse at times) this winter, yes, I appreciate puddles! 
-After my run, I sat outside in the sun for a couple minutes and just "felt" Spring.
-I'm no bird expert, but I'm hearing more and more birds in the morning.  They are flying back north!
-On my drive home, the south-facing hills along the interstates are snow free.  Showing how intense the sun angle is...another true sign of Spring!
-Another sign of Spring...being mad that this weekend we will only have highs in the 20's.  20's and 30's are "bad" at this point.  Showing that we've come a long ways.

So, welcome to Spring!  Yes, it's Spring Minnesota style...meaning we will have our ups and downs.  We will still have more snow and cold days.  However, we will also have our warm days to enjoy as well.

I'm trying to stay positive, in case you couldn't tell :-)

Forecast
Friday: a period of snow/mix...maybe up to 1" of slush, High near 40.
Saturday: partly cloudy.  High 25
Sunday: Sunny. High 24.
Monday: Mostly cloudy. High 30.
Tuesday: Mostly cloudy. High 28.
Wednesday: Sunny. High 36.
Thursday: Partly cloudy. High 40.

What I'm watching
I have been watching the day to day weather model runs and I have been focused on the March 31 - April 1 timeframe.  Indications are that there could be a good sized storm in the Plains.  At this point it looks like we could really have a complete meltdown around this period as moisture surges north.  Current models are showing temperatures in the 50's, even lower 60's with rain.  Of course it's way too far out to know what will happen, but I'm excited to see this because if this happens, it will allow dewpoint temperatures to surge above freezing as well...which will escalate the snow melt. 

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment